|Activities:||Road Trip, Photography|
|Duration:||8 Days/ 7 Nights|
|Batches:||1st – 8th October 2023|
Meghalaya is not just Abode of Clouds but also the indelible landscapes. A remarkable destination with cascading waterfalls, pristine rivers, windswept highlands, lush verdant valleys, enthralling mountains, and steamy Forests – Meghalaya Backpacking Tour is complete experience of spectacular array of sights.
Meghalaya Tour through a far North Eastern state also known for its rich biodiversity in the world. The famed monsoons, striking terrain and the rich traditional festivals are just some of the other aspects this state is known for. Whether you seek for adrenaline rush or a tranquil place to revive self, Meghalaya backpacking trip is the best.
Along the popular tourist locations, experience the few offbeat places like stay near Phe Phe waterfall.
Its unforgettable journey through a Abode of Clouds that will revive you for a long time even after it ends.
- The most amazing tangible heritage site of natural bridges weaved from giant roots of trees – Nongriat.
- Boat ride in the most stunning river Umngot.
- The beautiful cascading waterfalls – Noh Ka Likai, Wei Saw Dong, Krang Shuri and Phe Phe
- An exhilarating exploration of caves.
- Mawlynnong cleanest village in Asia.
Upon arrival around 11 am, you will be received by our team and start the journey to Sohra (Cherapunji).
On the way, our first stop will be at Umiam Lake. Lined by striking roadways and bridges the lake is flanked by hills. Umiam lake is the beautiful calm lake that charms the Guwahati-Shillong Road all the way.
The next stop is Elephant falls. Scything through the forest slope a many levels cascading waterfall is part of a mountain stream.
Overnight stay in Sohra.
On the second day of the Meghalaya trip and we will explore Sohra.
Mawsmai – an unique series of natural caves with underground pools, formation of stalactites and stalagmites, fossils and much more to experience.
Noh ka likai Falls, a straight plunge of over 1000 ft over red mountain cliff, enveloped with a lush green forest is the unparalleled beauty to witness.
Wei Sawdong, a scenic three tier cascading waterfall is another exciting place to visit. A thrilling trail through bamboo forest leads to a stupendous waterfall in pristine surrounding.
Arwah cave, Meghalaya’s most famous cave with a complex set of taverns. Well-known for its fossils which can be observed in the lit-up interiors.
Stay in Sohra.
Today you will head for the Double Decker Trek from Tyrna to Nongriat. Trek to Rainbow falls from Nongriat takes 1.5 hours one way.
On the third day we will be going for the famous Meghalaya Trekking destination the iconic Double Decker trek from Tyrna to Nongriat. The trail is well marked, basically 3000 steps to descend. Soon you will reach at the first bridge, a single decker existing since last 70 years. These unique bridges are built by natives for their daily commute, soon became popular as tourist attraction. Continue further and you will soon reach next bridge, a century old. Explore the Living root bridges, it’s photo time to capture your memories.
As you pass the double decker bridge, the trail continues to Rainbow falls. Within an hour you will reach the surreal Rainbow waterfall through the beautiful trail.
Stay in Nongriat.
Post breakfast, start your Trek up to Tyrna (time: 03 hours) and we will proceed to Mawlynnong, cleanest Village. Explore the village and visit the balancing rock.
Stay in Mawlynnong/ Shnongpdeng.
Today you will be visiting the famous Umngot river, the most picturesque place you ever had seen. Most of the pictures you have seen whenever you search Meghalaya on internet is the same place, Dawki. The river water is amazingly see-through that the boats apparently look like floating in mid-air.
The Umngot river is the major attraction and the source of the water sports. Go for day-long activities in Shnongpedeng - swimming, kayaking and zip lining. Spend the day by the river Umngot.
Overnight stay in Shnongpdeng.
Today we will visit two more stunning waterfalls of Meghalaya. The first we will visit Krang Suri falls, an hour drive from Shnongpdeng. Located amidst serene Jaintia hills, Krang Suri falls a true sight to behold. One can not resist to spend time along the simmering blue water pools and the picturesque surroundings.
The next stop is Phe Phe falls, just half an hour drive from the earlier spot. We will descend through winding downhill path first and later walk along the steps cut out with bamboo fences at the side. You will descend with glimpse of the fall in-between, as you reach the base the glory of plunging down water column will stun you. It’s two-tier waterfall with an adoring turquoise colour pool. The whole scenario explains why it’s called Paradise (local language meaning of the Phe Phe)
Overnight stay at campsite near Phe Phe falls.
Wake up early, after breakfast leave for Shilong (3 hrs drive, 78 kms).
On the way we will visit Laitlum canyon, later visit St. Cathedral church and Wards Lake.
Evening time to roam around and shopping. Come back to hotel for dinner.
Overnight stay at Shilong.
Get up early and head to the Guwahati for departure (4 hrs drive, 144 km). The Meghalaya tour ends here with lots of loving memories.
- Pick up and drop to Guwahati Airport/ Railway Staion
- Stay in hotels on twin sharing basis at Shilong and Sohra
- Stay at Homestays and Campsites at Nongriat, Shnongpdeng and Phe Phe Falls on twin/ triple/ multiple sharing as per availability.
- Meals: Breakfast and Dinner (First day Dinner to last day breakfast)
- Transfers with sightseeing in non AC vehicle as per itinerary
- Entry Tickets, parking, tolls charges.
- Co-coordinator throughout the tour.
- Personal expenses of any kind viz. bottled water, cold drinks, laundry, tips, extra meals ordered, etc.
- Travelling from and to home town.
- Any food/ meals during traveling.
- Breakfast on Day 1 and Dinner on Day 8.
- Lunch and evening tea on all days.
- Any kind of Insurance.
- Camera/ Video charges, Guide, etc.
- Any additional Expenses/ cost incidental to any change in the itinerary/stay caused by a reason beyond our control such as Natural Calamities (Landslides, Floods, etc.), any accidents, medical evacuations, riots, strikes, evacuation costs, flight cancellation, etc.
- Refund of any kind for unutilised tour plan services.
- Any other tax or service charge, stay charge that could be enforced during this period will be extra and need to be borne by Participants.
- Any service not specifically mentioned in the Inclusions.
- Keeping in mind the road condition of the hilly region, sometimes the guests need to start early for the departure transfer. In some cases the vehicle has to take diversions which might take longer to reach the departure point. Also any difference in cost has to be paid arising due to mishaps, natural calamities like – landslides, road blockage, etc. In such cases extra will have to be paid on the spot by the guest directly.
- All travelers are advised to purchase travel insurance that provides care and services for sickness, Accidents, emergency rescue, etc. We shall not be responsible for the loss of personal assets and belongings of the travelers due to unavoidable reasons or mishaps.
- Visits, Activities and their order are subject to change for backpacking trip based on the discretion of Wandering Explorers.
- Even though participants do not need to submit any health certificates, those with a history of medical problems, particularly cardiac or respiratory, should consult a doctor before deciding to undertake the trip.
- Carry appropriate substitution drugs for individuals allergic to any of above.
- Any customisation in arrival and departures may lead to additional cost.
- All sightseeing is subject to weather conditions.
- Customisation would not be adjusted with any inclusions such as missed sightseeing, stay, meals etc.
- Due to delay by participants any missed out destination/s shall not be covered.
- If any of the points remains closed without prior intimation, we will try to cover it up with another destination if feasible.
Cancellation & Refund Policy:
If for some reason you wish to cancel your trek/ event then an email intimation needs to be sent to “firstname.lastname@example.org”. Cancellation requests are not taken over phone, however you can phone to check whether your cancellation has been processed.
- In case if participant cancelled booking before 31 days in advance from the date of joining, then participant will get a refund of 75%.
- In case if participant cancelled booking between 30 to 21 days in advance from the date of joining, then participant will get a refund of 50%.
- In case if a participant is unable to join a trek/event at last moment or cancelled booking in less than 21 days in advance from the date of joining, then participant will not get any refund.
- No Refund or Compensation for any changes on the ongoing event.
- No Refund of any kind for unutilised tour plan services.
- A refund will be given after 15 days of completion of the trek /event.
- We owns (or reserve) the right to apply cancellation charges; if the trek/ event cancelled before leaving for the trek/ event by any reason beyond our control such as Natural Calamities (Heavy Rains, Storms, Landslides, Floods, and Pandemic, etc.) or any unforeseen incidents like road accidents, public transport cancellation/ failure, Government declared restrictions, strikes and Bandhs, etc. We shall not be liable for any other kind of loss.
Things To Carry:
- Photo Identity card (Voters ID/ Driving License/ Passpor) original with 5 photocopies and 05 copies of passport size photograph.
- Thermals (Top & Bottom)
- Fleece Jacket/ sweaters
- Woolen gloves & Woolen Socks, Monkey cap/ woolen cap, Scarfs, Buffs
- Personal Clothing for the tour, handkerchief, socks, etc.
- Trek Pant and quick dry trekking shirt.
- Pancha/ Towel
- Windcheater/ Raincoat
- Water Bottle
- Torch, Power banks, Charger, etc.
- Toiletry kit (Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Soap, Shampoo, Face Wash, Hand Sanitiser, etc.)
- Sun protection & Cold Cream – Sunscreen, Lip balm, Sunglasses, Cap, mosquito repellant Cream etc.
- Face Mask and hand sanitizer enough for entire days of the event.
- Good trekking Shoes & floaters
- Ready to eat snacks, Dry fruits, etc.
- Camera, Batteries and Memory cards – Optional
- A Backpack to keep all things and a Day bag.
- Medicines those you require usually, with your doctor’s consultation
Do not wear gold or carry any kind of valuable ornaments